The ‘ Gifford’ joined the fleet in 1913 and had the bad luck to be in Hamburg at the outbreak of war, when she was interned. Given a new name of ‘ Sperrbrecher 9’ she successfully worked as a blockade runner for the Germans. She was returned to Britain at the end of the war and was sold at auction, becoming the ‘ Sheaf Mount’. After changing hands again, she was first flying the Greek flag, followed by the Italian flag for A Lauro at the start of WW2. Seized by the Americans, she was registered in Panama and named ‘Plaudit’, meeting her end in 1942 being torpedoed by U181 off Port Elizabeth. Some career!