This ship was buit in 1918 in Seattle, USA. Driven by a GE steam turbine. She was owned by the United States Shipping Board, and named WEST HOBOMAC. Fifteen years later in 1933, she was sold to Lykes Bros/Ripley S.S. Co, and became soley owned by Lykes in 1938. In 1940 she was handed to the French Government who named her ILE de BATZ and operated her under the French Line. In July that year in WW2, she was taken over by the Ministry of War Transport in the U.K. who awarded the management to Andrew Weir. In March 1940 she met her end when bound from Rangoon to Freetown to the UK with a cargos of rice and generals, torpedoed by U68. ( See above account). 4 dead.