The Incomati was torpedoed by U-508 200 miles south of Lagos with the loss of one person. She stayed afloat and was then shelled and set on fire. The 213 survivors were rescued from the boats by 2 RN ships. The date was the 18th July 1943.
12th in an order for 18 vessels of the ‘INVERBANK’ class. She was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine when full of military equipment near the Maldive Islands in Sept. 1943. A total of 46 persons were lost with her.
Fish Class vessel RUDDBANK, was named after a stout-bodied freshwater sport fish of the carp family. She had many guises after her life as the RUDDBANK 1979 to 1983, She was successively: ROMNEY;LAIRG;NAPIER STAR;TAMAPATCHAREE;LADY REBECCA;GLOBAL MARINER and she sank IN THE YEAR 2000 after a collision in the Orinoco river.
A great view of a loaded Foylebank, built in 1955 at Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast. One of the 6 successful and long serving ‘Copra’ vessels popular with crew. She had 10 years as the Greek registered ‘ Patroclos’ from 1973 to 1983 before going to scrap.
She was built as the VALENCIA for the Hamburg/America Line. Became a war reparation in 1919, when she became the HUGHLI for James Nourse. Bank Line then purchased her in 1927. Sunk by a U boat in 1943 with a total of 75 deaths including passengers. She was the second vessel to bear this name after the 1906 TINHOW. She was owned by the Hong Kong Navigation Co. with Andrew Weir as managers.
The NORTHBANK, built by W Doxford in 1957 was the third ship in a 21 ship order. She was the ‘odd’ one out of the so called ‘Compass Class’ as the East,West,and Southbank were earlier ships built in 1947 and 48 by the same builder and slightly smaller.
Built by Smith’s Dock, Middlesborough 1980 for the ‘Bank and Savill’ service. Running mates were DUNEDIN and NEW ZEALAND CARIBBEAN. Lasted 4 years in this service which was then amended to CALIFORNIA /AUSTRALASIA service for a further 4 years.
The EASTBANK was built in 1947 and spent nearly 20 years in the company’s service before becoming the BORDAZURI. She spent a lot of this time on the Copra run around the Pacific Islands and was a highly successful design, and a much loved ship by most who sailed on her, including the author.
1977 Doxford built vessel, one of a dozen ordered and called the ‘FLEETBANK’ class. She was the 7th launched out of the total. Later sold in 1983 to Greek owners who named her ARGONIFTIS. Other names: HOPE BAY, AMER PRABHA before scrapping at Alang in 1998.
An application for a ‘Blue Plaque’ for Lord Inverforth has been turned down recently leading to some of us exploring alternatives. The national scheme has the backing of English Heritage – see the Jimmy Hendrix plaque example. There are many other sources, or indeed a private plaque can be created. The City of London also have a Blue Plaque scheme for applicants from the ‘square mile’. ( See the William Bligh plaque below).
The location is another question to be resolved as the old Bury St. address gave way for the London ‘Gherkin’ site. The original Glasgow address in Hope St. is still as before.
Andrew Weir, the great shipping entrepreneur built the largest fleet of sailing vessels ever under the British flag.
A blue plaque within the City of London appears to be a possibility but the whole process takes 5 years. There is an application form which is straightforward and at first glance, it would appear that qualification is a possibility, although there are many unsuccessful applications. More later…